Actually, we were there, and not just in our minds. Gina and I broke away from reading, writing and grading to spend a couple of days in Kill Devil Hills, NC. For those of you unfamiliar with the Carolina coast, this is known as the Outer Banks (OBX). Gina had been there before a few years ago, but this was my first time to the Outer Banks. Having been raised in the Rocky Mountains and not familiar with the beach, I was not really expecting much. During the handful of occasions I've actually been to the beach, I think I've only gone in the ocean 2 or 3 times. This is likely due to my media-induced fear of sharks, which Gina tells me is completely unfounded. Gina, on the other hand, has been wanting to go to the beach since we arrived in Virginia.

Well, I put fear and doubt aside and we headed to the beach for the weekend. We actually made a couple of stops on the way down to inquire about baby items Gina spotted on Craig's List. We are now the proud owners of a glider rocker, a baby tub and this Baby Einstein thing that is supposed to make our children into geniuses. Like they need help with that! We actually picked up the rocker on the way back today so we didn't have to lug it around the beach all weekend.

Gina found a great bed and breakfast online called Cypress House Inn. The rate was reasonable, the rooms were very nice and the breakfasts were unbelievable. We have stayed in a couple of B&B's before, and I really like sitting at breakfast with the other families and getting to know them. There was a couple from Yorktown next to us, a couple from Chicago (whose son went to UVA ... Wahoowa) and a couple who works for the State Department who is about to head over to Afghanistan for a year to work in the Embassy. Each of these couples was very nice and we had a great time talking with them. Of course, the inn owners' 2-year old grand-daughter Kayla stole the show as she ran in and out of the room and interacted with everyone. Overall, the accommodations were great, and I'm pretty sure we'll visit Cypress House again.

The first day was very mild and slightly breezy. My original plan was to sit in a comfy beach chair and read until the sun went down. Well, the sea was beckoning me and it wasn't long until I was wading in up to me knees and jumping waves. Gina joined me eventually and we had a really good time. Though I didn't get very wet and didn't really swim, I'm pretty sure there were no sharks waiting for me to jump in.

The second day was not so wonderful, as far as the weather is concerned. It wasn't cold, but it was extremely windy. I had a hard time even setting up the chairs. Now that I think about it, I was reminded of Wyoming, except the air was warm. Gina got nestled into her seat and wrapped up in the beach towels. I tried to get some reading done for a class, but the wind kept flipping my pages. We stayed for about one and a half hours, then went to lunch.

We decided to head back to the beach later that day after a long nap in our room. Our game plan was to get in the water no matter how windy it was. The air was still pretty warm, so I wasn't too worried about getting cold. Gina actually made the first plunge as I took pictures of her pregnant belly sticking out. She looked pretty cute, if you don't mind my saying. After a few snapshots, I got in with her and realized that this water was not ideal for swimming. Besides the fact that the wind was blowing pretty hard, the waves were coming in very fast and it was hard to stand up. We were going to swim out and test the buoyancy of Gina's belly, but we retracted that idea when we struggled so much to wade against the waves. I know Gina was disappointed, but we both thought it was the best thing to do. I swam for a little while longer then got out after I got tired.

This morning we had breakfast with our inn-mates (hee hee), took one last look at the beach and headed back to Richmond to pick up our new chair. Sydney is still with her friends Auntie Flo and Henry and will come back tomorrow. We are straightening up the house and catching up on all the work we didn't do while at the beach. We are both already talking about our next trip down there, which will have to wait awhile. Everything we talk about these days usually starts with the phrase, "You know, in 4 months we won't be able to do this ..."

That's all for now. I hope you all are doing well and enjoying life. Drop us a comment and let us know how you are doing. Take care!